Photo Credit: Millennial Politics
Nearly 24 hours have passed since it concluded, but I am still trying to figure out why 34-year-old Suraj Patel lost the New York 12th Congressional District Democratic Primary Election to 72-year-old incumbent Carolyn Maloney. He lost by 17.6%, as Maloney totaled 58.8% of the vote while he totaled only 41.2% of it.
Why did this happen?
- Was it the fact that he changes his voter registration so often?
- Was it the fact that he claimed a tax break on his home in Indiana?
- Was it the fact that he voted outside of New York City as recently as 2016?
- Was it the fact that he violated an election law pertaining to his campaign donations?
- Was it the fact that tons of his donations were from people with the last name of “Patel”?
- Was it the fact that his hotels face years of labor complaints?
- Was it the fact that he said having an affair with a 17-year-old is “not that bad”?
- Was it the fact that he made inappropriate remarks about then 16-year-old gymnast McKayla Maroney?
- Was it the fact that he claimed he was “cyberbullied” when his comments about her were publicized?
- Was it the fact that he handed out free condoms to raise support for his campaign?
- Was it the fact that he used fake tinder profiles to try to “catfish” voters?
Never mind the fact that it almost seems like Patel was trying to lose the election; I personally blame Russia, Donald Trump, and Marcus Ericsson.